Synchro Canada News: December 4th, 2009
Please see below some news about Synchro Canada:
- 4th FINA World Trophy: Canada champion
The Canadian Synchronised Swimming Team won the 4th FINA World Trophy title amongst the 10 best countries in the world gathered in Montreal last weekend. In 2008, Canada ranked fourth in the third edition of this competition held in Spain.
- Read the press releases sent last weekend (http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?lang=english)
- See all pictures from last weekend (http://www.dermotcleary.com/ - FINA World Trophy section)
- Full results: http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=52&Itemid=38&lang=english
- In the News: Valérie Welsh (french only): http://journallepeuple.canoe.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=120653&id=1100&classif=Nouvelles
- See the CBC show of the 4th FINA World Trophy, which will be broadcasted on Saturday, December 12, from 1 pm to 2 pm.
- National Team: athletes of the week
Sportcom, the Quebec’s government amateur sport agency, have named the Canada Synchronised Swimming Team which won the 4th FINA World Trophy athletes of the week. National team captain Ève Lamoureux did the interview with Sportcom. Read it now (french only): http://www.sportcom.qc.ca/ACCUEIL/NouvellesDetails/tabid/1109/Default.aspx?ItemId=1969&alias=sportcom.qc.ca&ModuleId=577&TabId=36&PortalId=0
- Sports-Québec Gala Finalists
Chloé Isaac from our AA National Team and the Montréal Synchro Club are finalists for the 37th Gala Sports Québec which will be held Tuesday, December 22nd at Cirque Eloize in Montreal. Chloé is finalist for the Collective Sport Athlete of the Year award, while the Montréal Synchro Club is finalist for the Team of Club award. Congratulations and good luck! Read the press release (french only): http://www.sportcom.qc.ca/ACCUEIL/NouvellesDetails/tabid/1109/Default.aspx?ItemId=1968&alias=sportcom.qc.ca&ModuleId=396&TabId=36&PortalId=0
- Two synchronised swimmers are carrying the Olympic Flame this week.
- Elise Marcotte, member of the 2009 National AA Team, carried the Olympic Flame Thursday, December 3rd, in her hometown of L’Ancienne-Lorette, close of Quebec City.
- Marie-Pierre Gagné, who represented Canada at the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Games, will carry the torch on Tuesday, November 8, at St-Lazare, QC.
Follow the Olympic Torch Relay (http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-torch-relay/)
- Sheilagh Croxon nominated for the 2010 International Olympic Committee Women and Sport Trophy
Synchro Canada would like to congratulate a member of the Board of Directors, Mrs. Sheilagh Croxon, who has been nominated by the Canadian Olympic Committee for the 2010 International Olympic Committee Women and Sport Trophy. More details (http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=139&Itemid=64)
- Rebecca Maule, Rachel Kowalski and Sheilagh Croxon recipients of the 2010 Petro-Canada Fuelling Athlete and Coaching Excellence (FACE) program
Synchro Canada would like to congratulates Rebecca Maule and Rachel Kowalski, 2008 National Junior Team members which train at the the Granite Club in Toronto with their Coach Sheilagh Croxon, who recently were awarded on of the 2010 Petro-Canada Fuelling Athlete and Coaching Excellence (FACE) Program grant.
This program is designed for non-carded, developing Canadian athletes to give them that little extra support to help them meet Sport Canada’s carding criteria. Petro-Canada chooses a total of 50 athlete-coach pairings (100 recipients in total) of which each athlete and coach receives $4000 to support their training and competition expenses. The idea of the funding is to have the athlete and coach spend the money on something that will equally benefit their development.
More details about the FACE program (http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/olympics/1102.aspx)
- 2010 FINA World Masters Championships
The 13th FINA World Masters Championships will be held in Sweden from July 27th to August 7th, 2010. To attend the competition, Canadian clubs will have to submit a bid. Also, judge costs will be shared betweeen all participants. You can check the 2010 FINA World Masters Championships meet information package in the Masters section: http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=42&Itemid=34
- WISE Fund
The Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS) announced that it is offering twelve grants of $900 to active girls and women and/or organizations offering sport programs targeted to girls and women. The fund is designed to help support MSO/NSO/PSO sport initiatives in an effort to financially assist members of the sport community in Canada.
Applications will only be accepted between November 24, 2009 and December 11, 2009. Please note that CAAWS will no longer be accepting applications from individual athletes. The 2010 WISE Fund recipients will be announced in February 2010.
More information: www.caaws.ca/e/grants/wise
- SIRC Newsletter - Team Cohesion
Get a look at the November 2009 SIRC Newsletter on Team Cohesion. You'll find information on building an effective team, improving sport performance, coaches' perceptions of team building and team psychology. Check it now: http://www.sirc.ca/newsletters/November09/Index.html
- Interview of Marie-Pier Boudreau-Gagnon
Check this interview of Marie-Pier Boudreau-Gagnon in the SRC sport show “Tellement Sport” done few days before the 4th FINA World Trophy. Check it now (french only): http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/tellement_sport/2009-2010/Reportage.asp?idDoc=95897
- 2009 Rulebook
The 2009 Synchro Canada Rulebook is now available here: http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=55&Itemid=40&lang=english