Synchro Canada News: February 10, 2010
Please see below important news about Synchro Canada:
- Synchro Canada members finalists for the 37th Canadian Sport Awards
Synchro Canada is proud to announce that Christine Hampshire and Sylvie Fréchette are both finalists for the 37th Canadian Sport Awards. Christine Hampshire is one of three finalists for the Leadership in Sport Award while Sylvie Fréchette is for the Athlete Leadership Award. The 37th Canadian Sport Awards will take place in Toronto on March 3rd, 2010. Congratulations to both of them and good luck! More info: http://www.truesportfoundation.ca/en/page-27.
- Rule Book modification
Please note the following addition to Synchro Canada rule book, which follow point 4.9 on Exhibition Competitors:
Section 4.9.1 - CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE COMPETITORS:
1. If a Centre of Excellence athlete wishes to participate in COSSC, that athlete may at the discretion of Synchro Canada’s National Team Programs Head Coach and Competition Chair, enter the competition.
2. A Centre of Excellence athlete:
- Must pay all competition entry fees and meet entry deadlines
- Will be drawn as a qualified competitor in all events
- Will be listed on all draws and programs as a Centre of Excellence competitor
- Will be announced, following their swim, as a Centre of Excellence routine
- That qualifies for a final event shall be added to the finals quota of that event and shall be drawn to swim based on their placing in preliminaries
- Is eligible for duplicate awards.
3. If an exhibition routine qualifies for finals there must be 10 qualified routines in the event.
Check the updated Rule Book: http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=55&Itemid=40
- Synchro Canada eNews
Synchro Canada is actually working on a better electronic newsletter. If you would like to receive directly this free weekly newsletter, go subscribe online at: http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=8&Itemid=30&lang=english.
- 2010 Synchro Canada Annual General Meeting
The 2010 Synchro Canada Annual General Meeting will be held in Banff, Alberta, October 21-24. The event will be presented during the Alberta Aquatic Conference in collaboration with Synchro Alberta, Swimming Canada and Swimming Alberta. Add this event in your calendar now! Events Calendar section: http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=52&Itemid=38&lang=english.
- Cheer for Canada at the 2010 Olympic Games
The 2010 Olympic Winter Games will start this Friday and Synchro Canada is inviting its members to support Canada by watching the Canadians athletes and by buying the red mittens or any other HBC Olympic products. The profits are not only helping the Canadian winter sports athletes, but also the summer ones like our synchronised swimmers national team members. Shop now: http://www.hbc.com/en/index.html.
- Deadline Fast Approaching: Chevrolet Making Dreams Possible Club Coaching Grant
The application deadline for the Chevrolet Making Dreams Possible Club Coaching Grant is February 22, 2010. This spring, another 50 and more grants of $2,000 will be awarded to community sport clubs across the country for coach training and development. Be one of them! More info: www.coach.ca/makingdreamspossible/club.
- How to use the Canadian Sport for Life Webtool
Check the new document created by Synchro Canada on how to use the Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L) Coaching Webtool. Download it now: http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=44&Itemid=35.
- AthletesCAN and Canadian Athletes Helping Haiti
Already, Canadian Canoers and Kayakers have donated upwards of $5000 to help Haiti. AthletesCAN challenges your sport to do better. Let's show the world that Canadian athletes care - DONATE NOW - every little bit helps! To donate on behalf of your sport, click here: http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?SID=2457423
- International Bid Calendar updated
Check the International Bid Calendar recently updated. In this section, you will also find the meet package of the 2nd Annual Jamaica International Synchronised Swimming Championship, which will be held October 7-9, 2010, in Kingston, Jamaica. Check it now in the International Bids section: http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=56&Itemid=40.
- Subscribe to the new FINA magazine
FINA magazine, FINA Aquatics World – previously published monthly – has been redesigned as the FINA Aquatics World Magazine, a 124-page treasure-trove of information, news, views and profiles from the international federations and five disciplines around the globe. It cost 2.5 EUR/copy per edition plus postage. If you would like to subscribe, please contact Patrick Godbout, Synchro Canada Communications Manager (
), to get the order form.
- News from the provinces
Do you have any news that you would like to share with other provinces and members? That news can be on any subject, including about an athlete, coach, administrator or official, or even on your provincials programs or competitions. Send them to
and we’ll be more than happy to share it with the other members.
Kaley Maksymyk, currently coaching in Winnipeg, has been selected to be the Assistant Coach/Manager for the Manitoba Synchronised Swimming team for the 2011 Canada Games. She will team-up with Khadija Cutcher, Synchro Swim Manitoba High Performance Coach, who will be the head coach of the team. The next Phase of the Trials will be held during the Marj Simpson Invitational on March 12. Congratulations Kaley!